Friday, November 17, 2017

The Folly of Youth




The Folly of Youth
Mike Walker, Col USMC-ret

All,

Just reflecting on the excesses of youth as it applies to me. Consider these three facts:

(1) James Taylor wrote a classic but disparaging hit in 1972 titled "Old Man." He was 24 then and 67 now. How the worm turns.

(2) Even better, Peter Townsend of The Who wrote "My Generation" where he famously shouted: "I hope I die before I grow old." It was released in 1965 when Townsend was barely 20. 

He is now 72. Is the new verse: "I hope to live to be very very old"?

(3) Those sentiments were reflected in the famous line, "Do not trust anyone over 30" uttered by Jack Weinberg in 1964 who was ... 

wait for it...

a key leader of the FREE SPEECH MOVEMENT at UC Berkeley. He is now 77.

So who do we trust now?

Go figure!

Mike